Thoughts this Thursday

Thoughts this Thursday
“You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view... Until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it.” 

On this thoughts on a Thursday, I want to share a quote/motto that I live by, which is the quote above from To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee which was published in 1960, which is 60 years ago. A story based around 1933, which is 87 years ago (I hope my maths is right!)
I do not proclaim to be political, although in these recent times with Brexit, a pandemic and innocent deaths, I guess it is hard not to be and I promise this is not a heavy post. I also do not proclaim to even begin to understand, so I do apologise that this is a poor connection to what is going on, but the fact that my quote is from one of the most influential reads with everything going on at the moment, is not lost on me.
In fact the whole book is something that influences me.
Many of us would have had to read To Kill a Mockingbird in school, and that is where I first came across this studying for my GCSE’S. However, I am almost grateful for the fact this meant that I got to read it and analyse it.
Harper Lee tackles many issues throughout, such as prejudice against Tom Robinson and Boo Radley, inequality but courage and compassion too. Atticus Finch (don’t we just love Gregory Peck – who played Atticus in the movie adaptation) fights for equality and wants his children Scout and Jem to grow up the same. It is one of the most influential reads.
There's a lot of ugly things in this world, son. I wish I could keep 'em all away from you. That's never possible.”
I guess at this moment I keep coming back to the same feeling of when I first read this because
87 years ago this story was based
60 years ago since it was published
14 years since I first read it.
yet the themes are still as poignant as ever, we must do better. 
"Hey Boo" - Scout Finch


Comments

Popular Posts