Coffee Break - with Ros Rendle

This week we are having a coffee with Ros Rendle! 

First, I must say thank you for this opportunity. Thank you so much for being here! It's very exciting.

What is your new book, Bird in the Hand, about?

This is my ninth book and one that has taken me a while to sort out. Now that I have set it in 1970, the height of the sexual revolution and independence for young people, it seems to work.

Set in Cornwall, Charmian is worried her future is mapped for her and repressive. She craves that freedom and excitement. That’s not quite what she gets.


Bird in the Hand is a story of making decisions for others which reaps heartache. Charmian has two birds and a third on the way. What's a girl to do? Consequences can be tough. We cannot mould our children to fit our own expectations. Sometimes it's better to be the familiar stranger. Charmian and her family have much with which to come to terms but it's ultimately uplifting.

Live, laugh, cry with, and love these characters. Lose yourself in a feelgood holiday read.

What was the inspiration behind Bird in the Hand?

The book is set in West Cornwall. It’s an area I know well, having had family who live there. The concept came from something I read in a newspaper, but it was a modern-day story. Now that I’ve changed the timeframe, it works better because back in the day, there was often an expectation that children would comply with parents’ wishes more than today. That was the era of ‘flower power’ and rebellion that suited the situation of these characters.

What have you learned on your journey to becoming a published author?

One of the greatest assets for anybody and especially an author is patience. My other books are awaiting issue by a recognised publisher, but I chose to self-publish this one for speed. The other thing needed is meticulous checking both during the writing process and subsequently. Checking for facts via accurate research is important to me, both in my historical novels and contemporary ones. Verifying correct, spelling, grammar etc. through fine editing is also important. Even with several layers of editing it’s still possible to make mistakes, though. What is important, is to make as few as possible.

What advice would you give to an aspiring author?

Be a reader, to know in which genre you wish to write. It’s a long process so keep going and don’t be put off my any knock-backs. They are inevitable. I found joining an association invaluable and the Romantic Novelists’ Association or the Historical Novelists’ Society have supportive members, conferences, and items of information which are great. There are other organisations too which will help with getting published and the business side.

The main thing, though, is to enjoy the process.

Where is your favourite place to write?

I have my own work room which is the third bedroom decorated and with all my bits and pieces to hand. However, I use a laptop, so I am also able to transport to anywhere and I often sit in the conservatory in the summer and look out onto the garden. We used to live in France and still have a house there. I am able to take my work with me when we go. So, a favourite place moves around. If I’m in front of my laptop… that’s my favourite place.

Share a photo of one of your favourite things

This is a part of collection of ‘touchwud’ sometimes known as ‘fumsup’ charms. They date from WW1. The first one I had, came from my grandad who fought on the Somme. They were given to soldiers for luck and to speed a safe return and have various marks on them for good fortune such as a four-leaved clover stamped into the little wooden bead head. The arms raise up to touch this wood, too. This was inspiration for a book I wrote called Flowers of Flanders, soon to be re-issued. It’s the first in three-part series.


Author biog. For Ros Rendle

Having worked as a head teacher, Ros has been used to writing policy documents, essays and stories to which young children enjoyed listening. Now she has taken up the much greater challenge of writing fiction for adults. She writes both historical sagas and contemporary romance; perfect for lying by a warm summer pool or curling up with on a cosy sofa
Ros is a member of the Romantic Novelists' Association, the Historical Novelists' Society and the Society of Authors.

She lived in France for ten years but has moved back to the UK with her husband and dogs. While there, she gained much information which has been of use in her books. They are thoroughly and accurately researched.

 Ros enjoys ballroom or Latin dancing, and dog walking across the fields. She has been caught out a couple of times, but she and her husband don’t normally do both at the same moment. She is a committee member of for the Deepings Literary Festival. Two daughters, with their husbands, and four granddaughters live close by, with whom she shares many marvellously fun times.


You can buy your copy of Bird in the Hand here! 



Thank you so much to Ros for joining us today and for a really informative chat! It's been lovely having you! 

Comments

Popular Posts