Coffee Break with Liz Fenwick

 

Today we have the lovely award winning author Liz Fenwick with us! Her seventh novel The Path to the Sea, was published in March, she has an array of beautiful stories - which I cannot wait to read more of! Not only are the front covers of her stories idyllic, if you give her a follow on Twitter or Instagram @Liz_Fenwick she also posts some very picturesque photos!

Thank you so much for stopping by today! It is very exciting to have you. Can you tell us about your publishing journey and what it was that made you want to become a writer?

I’ve wanted to be a writer for as long as I can remember because I wanted to live in the stories I read. I followed that dream through uni studying English Lit and writing ¾ of  a novel for my dissertation. Then I chickened out of sending the novel off and earned my living in the world of insurance. Finally in 2004 I realised I needed to write fiction again. I found the RNA in 2005 and through writing a novel a year for their New Writers’ Scheme I learned my craft again and I learned deadlines. I found my agent in 2011 with book three but I was writing book 7! My first published book The Cornish House came out in 2012. 

I would love to know about the inspiration behind The Path to the Sea, can you tell us what inspired this story?

It began with my mother-in-law’s recipe notebook. But it was more than just recipes…it was all her dinner parties in the 60s and 70s, the guests, the menus, the seating plans. In short it was a window into another world. My husband recalled looking through the serving hatch waiting for the leftovers and I thought what if a child witnessed something they didn’t understand but it changed their life forever… Then I needed to find the location…and the house used in the film About Time was perfect.

I love Cornwall, is it is one of my favourite place to go and I hate when it’s time to leave! What is it about Cornwall that made you fall in love with it? 

Tough question…the raw beauty of the landscape, the people, the history, the folklore…



Where is your favourite place to write? 

I finally have a study just for me and I love it. I can look out the window onto my garden and to the fields beyond. It’s tiny but I have my grandmother’s desk, soooooo many books, a bean bag to sit and read and a window seat!

What has been a highlight for you so far in your writing career? 

Readers reaction to my books. I am always overwhelmed that my stories are loved and it makes me so happy.

What exciting things are happening for you, coming up? 

Thanks to the pandemic nothing on the calendar until next spring!! So I’m working hard on book eight and hope soon to say when it will be out next year. It’s set on the banks of Tamar…think forbidden love, forgotten crossing and a forlorn cottage!!

Oh sounds intriguing, can't wait!! Share a photo of one of your favourite things!

Ziggy and the view from my study!!


And what a lovely view it is!! Thank you so much LIz!! 
You can order your copy of The Path to the Sea here

Comments

Popular Posts